miercuri, 5 ianuarie 2011

“CHIMES is gonna be the best alternative EP ever to be released in Romania”























I interviewed Nebulosa 3 months ago. I was about to have pasta in my apartment and they were split in 3 countries. USA (NOAMME), Denmark (Vladimir), Romania (GUF). Today they released on the web their first EP Chimes. And this discussion is all about music, food and stuff they do. With them 3.

Download CHIMES here: http://www.nebulosaband.com/




SAY IT AFTER ME: MA-MA-LI-GA

MAN
Gotta tell you man, I've read some Oasis interviews and I'm in a very funny and “fuck it” mood, hope you're not too grumpy for MAN.
A little bit of background. These bastards in Romania got nothing on you. Let's illuminate them. Where do you come from, what bands have you played in and how you got all together etc.?
One more thing. Is it like your first interview?
GUF
historical interview with the best band in Romania and the most talented one in the band. Well, nebulosa kinda started before the guys were in the band. before I even knew them.
I just wanted to make a pop band so i coould rip off the stone rose and the smiths to the max
MAN
is it pop what you guys are playing?
GUF
well no. it kinda switched to something else
NOAMME
after he realized we couldn't cover any stone roses songs, that dream faded away
GUF
NOAMME came with the dreamy voice, vladimir with the hard drums
MAN
ok, Vladimir, while you're enjoying mamaliga...tell me about your past project. The Vlads, is it?
Vladimir
the Vlads was to be the Kings of Leon of Europe. happy those who witnessed our only (and epic!) show.
MAN
what happened? they have a show in Bucharest these days, I've heard
Vladimir
Same vocal, different gang. I think it's more clean cut pop rock now. I happened to be the only Vlad in that band by the way, and I was the last to join
MAN
NOAMME, you were wandering Electromagnetica rehearsing space with Izmail at some point. What were you doing exactly in there?
NOAMME
yeah. wow, that was a while ago
Vladimir
scoring some
NOAMME
Ismail invited me to jam one day, and we ended up playing together for a month or two
NOAMME
scoring musiiiiccc!
MAN
are there any recordings anywhere?
NOAMME
I think there are.But I'm not sure exactly where they are, you're gonna have to do some journalistic digging for that
MAN
You guys had a name like Strap on Sandra or sth?
NOAMME
No, strap on sandra was before me. We were called The Simian Squad


NEBULOSA, THE MOTHER OF THREE


MAN
NOAMME, How does it feel to be a girl singer in a band? Who gets all the girls?
NOAMME
It was interesting. bands in bucharest are mainly male dominated. I felt like I had my special feminine power over everyone. And Vladi definitely got all the chicks
Vladimir
yeah, she makes amazing cupcakes!
MAN
and Gufy ...nada? that doesn't surprise me
GUF
yeah, i got all the chicks from the gopo interview. It’s ok
NOAMME
random chicks would come up to me and ask "wow so who's your drummer, is he single?" I feel like I could have started my own dating service with him.
MAN
so, was there anyone trying to pick you up after a gig?
NOAMME
Oh. Not that I recall.
Vladimir
mostly her dad to take her home
NOAMME
hey my dad is awesome!
MAN
ha,How come you never wrote an indie Yiddish rock'n’roll song?
NOAMME
I don't speak Yiddish
MAN
hebrew that is
Vladimir
yes. me and Gufi prefer to call it "salami language". it just sounds "salah, salam shalom shazam"
GUF
plus, we wouldn't know if she would make lyrics or just random hissing noises
MAN
I think it would have been interesting
GUF
maybe for her dad and her sisters
NOAMME
Gufi, it would be "hadash, hadash, hadash"
MAN
but that's just a fancy advice from an old master to his worshipers


CHIMES CHIMES CHIMES. WHAT DOES IT MEAN?



MAN
so...you are about to release this EP called Chimes. Explain that title to MAN, please
GUF
we've got some bells at some point and that’s that
MAN
You have a song called Grizzly Bear, which I know it's a big influence in your band. Tell me more about it, how did it came out?
NOAMME
I really hated that song in the beginning actually
GUF
haha yeah
NOAMME
it took a lot of convincing to make it work
Vladimir
that song is like Frankenstein. it's like a pieced up monster that somehow WORKS
GUF
i don’t think we're that influenced by grizzly bear though. maybe in "weirdness" and long named chords, that always helps to make it sound like a grizzly bear. and also the Memory Man helps a lot. u gotta have D#SuusM3b7 for that
NOAMME
yeah, its pretty fucked up in terms of structure but most of the songs are like that, except for Planets
Vladimir
you know what, my only connection to grizzly bear is that i wrote my bachelor degree on them. other than that, i didn't even know Grizzly Bear the band existed when the guys told me about it (while i was wearing my Foo Fighters shirt must I say)
MAN
You've waited a long time to upload your songs on iTunes. Exactly, how much do you expect to earn after this Ep?
GUF
i'm guessing around 10 euros
Vladimir
in 10 years
NOAMME
from 10 people
MAN
I've heard NOAMME has some American friends willing to pay the big buck
GUF
enough money to take the guys out in control when they come back
Vladimir
wait 10 euros each? whoo we're rich
NOAMME
yeah, we'll get us some drinks from the revenue when I come back from this 21+ hell


SOUND DEPARTMENT SOUNDS PRETTY HARDCORE


MAN
Do you ever plan a come back concert? Maybe playing somewhere in Europe?
NOAMME
I'd like that. In January both me and Vladi are coming back to Bucharest for a bit
GUF
i think NOAMME wants to play with Belle and Sebastion right know. yeah, we might play a show in January
NOAMME
no, they want to play with me!
MAN
I know from an insider that you had a lot of arguments on the pics to figure on the album sleeve, the digital one right. Is image that important to you?
NOAMME
On my part, it wasn't so much "image" as picture quality.
GUF
yeah, i guess that was the main problem
Vladimir
yeah she thought about all our poor thousands of fans who are just aching for a huge poster
Vladimir
and we're giving them poor pixels to make em
NOAMME
fuck off
GUF
You’re forgeting about posterity my friend
Vladimir
posterity is forgetting about me
NOAMME
hey pixels are important!
GUF
this pic will be on the "Dictionar Pop Rock", edition 2040
MAN
poster and posterity are important
MAN
going back to making music, as great as yours,
How long does it take for a Nebulosa song to be finished?
GUF
I think we're pretty straight forward
Vladimir
about the time it takes me to eat a banana at practice
Vladimir
(rehearsals, i meant)
NOAMME
MAN, you have no idea how many bananas he ate...
GUF
yeah, this could mean a lot of time considering the banana eating rate
MAN
Vladimir, every time I go away from Bucharest, from the band, I tend to look at it more objectively, with an open mind and ear. How does it feel back there dude? Plans on starting a black metal band?
Vladimir
so far i have grown my hair to my waist and purchased the following: a raven named Leif, an axe and some marsh mellows. I'm on my way. ok...if you want me to be a little emo about it, YES i miss playing music
NOAMME
me too! its hard not to make music with other people.
MAN
NOAMME, once you told me you want to continue doing more hardcore electro in Chicago. How's that going up to date?
NOAMME
Yesterday, I built a microphone.
MAN
Dan, a former member of Nebulosa is also there...didn't get to jam with him?
NOAMME
yeah, I'm hanging out with Dan a lot. He just got this banjo.
MAN
you built it at school right? what exactly do you study?
NOAMME
Right now I'm in the sound department. It’s not music – it’s just sound. lots of analogue work, mixing, creating sounds, and recording.


NEW SHIT COMING UP?

MAN
so, since you've departed, any new songs for Nebulosa?
NOAMME
We're not gonna continue writing when all three of us are in different countries. this isn't an online project
MAN
that's weird. I thought distance and loneliness is some sort of inspiration for artists
GUF
not for us
NOAMME
the time difference is pretty depressing
Vladimir
a good breakfast is inspiration
GUF
the band was also about the fun we had at practice
Vladimir
distance and loneliness. that just makes people sad, Man
GUF
i gotta tell everyone that Chimes is gonna be the best alternative EP ever to be released in Romania
NOAMME
scratch "alternative." BEST EP, PERIOD.
GUF
It’s fucking genious man. thing is god gave us a lot of talent. especially me. we made these songs, especially me and that’s that and they’re awesome
Vladimir
haha, does he want to be in that pop rock dictionary or what?!

Un comentariu: